BMO has sponsored the Nation’s Cup for the last 34 years
SPRUCE MEADOWS (CALGARY) AB, September 6, 2011 – National teams from 10 countries around the world will arrive in Calgary this week to compete in the BMO Nations’ Cup, one of the richest team show-jumping events in the world. The event, which carries a prize of $350,000 will take place on Saturday, September 10, at Canada’s premier show-jumping event, the Spruce Meadows “Masters” Tournament.
The 2011 Canadian Team, lead by Chef d’équipe Terrance Millar, will include the number one show jumping rider in the world, Eric Lamaze, along with veterans Ian Millar, Jonathan Asselin and Tiffany Foster.
This year Spruce Meadows will be welcoming the reigning Asian Games Champions, Saudi Arabia, including a member of the Saudi Royal Family. Saudi Arabia is competing for the first time in the BMO Nations’ Cup.
“BMO is proud of our longstanding sponsorship of Canada’s premiere equestrian team competition,” said Frank Techar, President and CEO, Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Financial Group. “The BMO Nations’ Cup has brought together the finest competitors in the sport for more than three decades. The event is an exciting opportunity to showcase talented athletes, and bring international recognition to the Calgary’s Spruce Meadows Masters Tournament.”
“The BMO Nations’ Cup is a leading international event in our sport. This year the event features dominant players, including former and reigning World, Olympic and European Champions,” said Spruce Meadows president, Linda Heathcott. “The fact that BMO Financial Group has been a part of the Spruce Meadows story from the start makes the competition and atmosphere truly unique.”
The roster of 2011 BMO Nations’ Cup teams invited to compete includes:
- Canada – 2008 Olympic Silver Medalist and 2006 BMO Nations’ Cup Winner.
- Belgium – Seeking its first BMO Nations’ Cup win.
- France – 1993 BMO Nations’ Cup Winner.
- Great Britain – Ten BMO Nations’ Cup wins – more than any other country.
- Ireland – Three-time winner of the BMO Nations’ Cup.
- Mexico – Seeking its first BMO Nations’ Cup win.
- Saudi Arabia – Making its BMO Nations’ Cup debut.
- Switzerland – Seeking its first BMO Nations’ Cup win.
- The Netherlands – 2009 BMO Nations’ Cup Winner.
10. United States – 2010 BMO Nations’ Cup Winner, 2004 and 2008 Olympic Team Gold..
Last year, 69,000 people attended the BMO Nations’ Cup and organizers hope to surpass this number in 2011. Fans with a BMO card can participate in the BMO Power of Blue program, which offers great client experiences during the Spruce Meadows Masters Tournament, including a chance to ride on the BMO float in the Parade of Nations.
Fans are also invited to visit the BMO Fan Centre, located in the Plaza Terraces, which features the following:
- Autographs from the best show jumping athletes in the world.
- Kids can test their money sense by playing a life-sized board game, Saddles ‘n Cents.
- Have your photo taken with the BMO Nations’ Cup trophy and award-winning horses.
- Show your BMO debit card or credit card to receive a BMO Enviro Bag and other perks
- Face painters, caricaturists, and appearances by BMO the Bear from Friday, September 9 to Sunday, September 11.
- Enjoy the musical entertainment during the week.
About BMO and the Equestrian Community:
As the founding sponsor of Spruce Meadows, BMO Financial Group has a long and proud history of supporting equestrian sport in Canada. Since 1977, BMO has sponsored the BMO Nations’ Cup at Spruce Meadows, attracting the top international show jumping teams to compete in Canada. In addition, BMO proudly sponsors Canadian Equestrian Team member, Ian Millar, and the BMO Grand Prix at the Gingerwood Charity Horse Show in Prince Edward Island.